Sharing Custom Origin Files Including Service Releases
2 Setting up a Group Leader and Group Members
3 Using the Group Folder Manager to Publish Files
4 Moving the FLEXnet Server and Updating Members of the New Location (Concurrent Network packages)
The Group Folder feature is available to all Origin and OriginPro 8.5 (and higher version) users. It is an optional feature - it does not need to be used.
The Group Folder feature can be used by any site/organization that has multiple Origin users managed by any license type. Even though the group leader and group members have different license types, sharing files between them by using Group Folder is available.
- Share custom Origin files such as templates and fitting functions with other users/members of your group.
- Publish Origin Service Releases (patches) to other users/members of your group.
- If a FLEXnet service (Concurrent Network users) is moved to a different machine, the Group Folder feature can be used to update the members of the Concurrent Network package with this new location.
The Group Folder feature involves setting up one or more group leaders. All or any number of Origin and OriginPro users can share the same group leader or leaders. For example, group leaders could be established at the department level of an organization. Both leader(s) and members can publish custom files to others in your group.
Moving the FLEXnet Server and Updating Members of the New Location (Concurrent Network packages)
All Concurrent Network members must have a connection to the FLEXnet license server. If you need to install and set up a FLEXnet license server on a different machine, the Group Folder feature provides an easy mechanism to update all the group members with the new FLEXnet server.
After you set up the replacement FLEXnet server and have the service running successfully, then you can edit the USE_SERVER.lic file located in your Origin group leader's hidden License folder. Located:
- Origin 2017 and Later Versions - Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 - C:\ProgramData\OriginLab##\License
- Origin 2016 - Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 - C:\Users\Public\Documents\OriginLab##\License
- Origin 2015 and Earlier Versions - Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 - C:\ProgramData\OriginLab##\License
This file will typically have the following text, assuming the FLEXnet server is <FLEXnet server>
SERVER <FLEXnet server> ANY
A 3-Server Redundant FLEXnet server is also supported, for example if we have three servers <one>, <two>, <three>, and ports 12345, 23456, 34567, the USE_SERVER.lic file looks like:
SERVER <one> ANY 12345
SERVER <two> ANY 23456
SERVER <three> ANY 34567
Once this change is made and the Origin group leader is restarted, this file will be automaticaly published to the Group Folder, and the Origin group members will be notified of the change of FLEXnet server with a message "Concurrent license server settings are updated. Click OK to restart".