Last update: October 19, 2018
Section 1: What Information Do We Collect and When Do We Collect it?
- We collect personal information directly from those who (1) create an account on www.originlab.com, (2) request a download or DVD of the Evaluation Software, (3) sign up for webinar or a training session, or (4) purchase products or services from us. At the time of account creation, request, sign up or purchase you may be asked for the following information: first and last name, email address, organization, department, city, state, country, postal code, phone number, economic sector and field/industry. Additionally, purchasers of products or services will be asked for credit card or account information in order to complete a purchase. Your credit card information is collected in order to process product and service purchases, but we do not store or keep this information on any of our servers or otherwise.
- If you send us an inquiry using the contact form, your information from the contact form, including the contact details given by you for the purpose of processing your request, shall be transmitted to us and then processed by us.
Your personal data can then be made available to the relevant internal departments by our employees.
We collect the following compulsory data for this:
- first name and surname
- email address
- serial number
- your message
Further information is optional. The aforementioned data is required so that we know who sent the request and can respond to it. Alternatively, you can send us an email. In this case, the user’s personal data transmitted by email will be stored for the purpose of making contact.
The data will be processed based on your voluntary consent. The user’s consent to the processing of this data is obtained as part of the registration process.
The personal data processed during the sending process serves to prevent misuse of the contact form and to ensure the security of our information technology systems.
Nothing is passed on to third parties in connection with this. The data serves exclusively to communicate with you.
You can object to the processing of your data at any time by contacting us by email firstname.lastname@example.org. In a case such as this, the conversation cannot be continued.
- When visiting our website at www.originlab.com the browser used on your device automatically sends information to the server on our website. The following data is collected without your intervention and stored until it is automatically deleted:
- anonymoused IP address of the enquiring computer
- data and time of access
- browser used and your computer’s operating system
- Name and URL from the retrieved file.
The data is also stored in the log files of our system. Storage of this data together with other personal data of the user does not take place.
The temporary storage of the aforementioned data by the system is necessary to enable the website to be delivered to the user’s computer as well as to ensure the functionality and optimization of our website and to ensure the security of the information technology systems.
The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer necessary for achieving the purpose of its collection.
We do not pass your data on to third parties with the exception of our technical website operators and hosting providers. Furthermore, we take appropriate measures and carry out regular checks to ensure that the data we collect cannot be viewed or accessed by third parties from outside.
- Our server also collects the following information from those who purchase products or services from us:
- Your software purchase must be registered online before license activation can proceed. During the registration process, our server collects and records computer-specific information which is then linked to your software license.
- Our server also periodically communicates with installed and licensed OriginLab software via the world wide web, sending information on feature or product updates, including the availability of service releases. During such communications, our server requests information from the software including software serial number and version, and computer-specific information such as computer name and Host ID.
- Licensed OriginLab products may download software and feature updates using the in-software “Check for Updates” mechanism. During this download process, our server requests information from the software including software serial number, software version, Registration ID and computer-specific information such as and Host ID, and OS bit-version (64 or 32).
The information generated by the cookie about your use of this website, such as:
- We routinely use Google Analytics to review data collected from users of the website (both logged in and non-logged in). By using these analysis measures, we want to ensure that our website is designed to meet requirements and is continually optimized.
We use Google Analytics for the purpose of the demand-orientated design and continuous optimization of our sites, a web analysis service provided by Google In (https://www.google.de/intl/de/about/) (1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA; “Google”). In this context, pseudonymised user profiles are created and cookies are used.
- browser type/version,
- operating system used,
- referrer URL (the previously visited site),
- time of the server request,
is transmitted to a Google server in the USA and stored there. The information is used to analyze the use of the website, to compile reports on website activities and to provide further services associated with the use of the website and the Internet for the purposes of market research and the demand-orientated design of these Internet pages. This information will also be transferred to third parties if this is required by law or if the third party process the data on someone else’s behalf. Under no circumstances will your IP address be associated with other Google data. The IP address is anonymized so that allocation is not possible (IP masking).
You can also prevent Google’s collection and use of data generated by the cookie and related to your use of the website (including IP address) and processing of this data by Google by downloading and installing a browser add-on (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=de).
As an alternative to the browser add-on, especially for browsers on mobile devices, you can also prevent Google Analytics from collecting data by clicking the following link to deactivate Google Analytics. An opt-out cookie is set which prevents any future collection of your data when visiting our website. The opt-out cookie is only valid in this browser and only for our website and is stored on your device. If you delete the cookies in this browser, you will have to set the opt-out cookie again.
We have entered into a processing contract with Google and implement the strict requirements of the German data protection authorities for using Google Analytics.
Demographic features on Google Analytics:
This website uses the “demographic features” function provided by Google Analytics. This allows reports to be created that contain information on the age, gender and interests of site visitors. This data comes from interest-related advertising by Google and from visitor data from third-party providers. This data cannot be assigned to a specific person. You can deactivate this function at any time using the ad settings in your Google account by downloading and installing a browser add-on (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=de).
You fill find more information on data privacy in connection with Google Analytics on the Google Analytics help page (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=de)
Section 2: How Do We Use the Information that We Collect?
- The personal information provided to us directly by you is linked to a specific user account (“User Profile”) to allow you access to the restricted portions of the website where software purchases can be downloaded and licenses managed.
- When you contact us with a licensing, technical support issue or a sales-related question related to your use of our software, we review the information in your User Profile, including your contact history, so that we may most efficiently resolve the issue or answer the question for you.
- We use personal information of those who have download or requested Evaluation Software to contact users (by telephone or email) during the evaluation period to ask about the nature of their work and to offer advice and assistance in the use of the software.
- We may also use personal information that you have submitted to our website to send you mailings (email, postal mail) regarding webinars, seminars, trainings, product updates and special offers and to process transactions with us.
- During the activation process machine-specific information is sent to our server which checks the installed product serial number for available licenses. This machine-specific information also allows our servers to inform users, via our software interface, of available updates to the currently-installed product.
- Data collected on website visits is used to better understand the needs of those who are using our website. Data on page visits, session, duration, location, language and browser name are continually used in formulation of web page content, facilitate your use of the website and improve overall website quality.
Section 3: Sharing of Information with Third-Parties
Information about our users is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. We do not sell or casually share personal information gathered in the course of our business operations to third parties. However, we may share your personal information under the following conditions:
- We may share your personal information with our world-wide network of trusted and approved software distributors in connection with providing sales and customer services and in order to resolve licensing and other technical issues. We will only provide distributors we share information with the minimum information they need to deliver the requested services.
- We may share your personal information with trusted third-party vendors to print and send postal mail to you or provide other services on our behalf, such as processing of credit card transactions. We will only provide those vendors with the minimum information they need to deliver the requested services.
- We may share or transfer your information in connection with, and during negotiations of, a sale of all or substantially all of our assets or ownership interests, a merger, financing or other business combinations or reorganizations.
- We may share aggregated or anonymized information and statistics with third parties that does not directly identify you.
If our sharing practices change at any time in the future, we will post the policy changes to the website so that you may opt out of the new sharing practices.We suggest that you check the website periodically if you are concerned about how your information is shared.
Section 4: Compliance with GDPR and Other Regulations Concerning Personal Data Collection
We appreciate the privacy concerns of our international user-base and we strive to respect and protect your privacy of those who submit personal information to us. With regard to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) recently adopted by the European Union (EU), the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) adopted by Canada and other such privacy and data protection regulations, we will make a good-faith attempt to understand and comply with such regulations with respect to our international user-base, when and where possible.
However, it should be understood that we must collect and maintain your personal data in order to conduct normal business operations and that by requesting or purchasing goods and services from us, you are agreeing to that collection and storage of personal data.
According to the GDPR you have the following additional rights regarding your data:
You have the right:
- to request information about your personal data processed by us in accordance with Article 15 GDPR. Notably you may request information about the processing purposes, the category of personal data, the categories of recipients to whom your data has been or will be disclosed, the planned storage period, the existence of a right to rectification, deletion, restriction of processing or objection, the existence of a right to complain, the origin of your data if it have not been collected by us and the existence of automated decision-making, including profiling and, if applicable, meaningful information on their details;
- to immediately request the correction of incorrect or complete personal data stored by us in accordance with Article 16 GDPR;
- to request the deletion of your personal data stored by us in accordance with Article 17 GDPR unless the processing is necessary to exercise the right to freedom of expression and information, to fulfil a legal obligation, for reasons of public interest or to assert, exercise or defend legal claims;
- to restrict the processing of your personal data in accordance with Article 18 GDPR if you dispute the accuracy of the data, if the processing is unlawful but you refuse the deletion of the data and we no longer need the data, but if you need it to assert, exercise or defend legal claims or if you have filed an objection to the processing in accordance with Article 21 GDPR;
- to receive your personal data that you have provided to us in a structured, current and machine-readable format or to request its transfer to another controller in accordance with Article 20 GDPR. If you request the direct transfer of the data to another controller, this will only take place if it is technically feasible;
- to revoke the consent given to us at any time in accordance with Article 7 Para. 3 GDPR. As a result, this means that we will no longer be allowed to continue processing data based on this consent in the future and
- to complain to a regulatory authority in accordance with Article 77 GDPR. You can usually contact the regulatory authority at your usual place of residence or workplace. You will find a list of data protection officers and their contact details using the following link: https://www.bfdi.bund.de/DE/Infothek/Anschriften_Links/anschriften_links-node.html.
Revoking your consent to data processing
- Many data processing procedures are only possible with your explicit consent. You can revoke your consent at any time. All you need to do is send an informal message by email to “email@example.com The legality of data processing until revocation remains unaffected by the revocation.
SSL or TLS encryption
- This site uses SSL or TLS encryption for security reasons and for the protection of the transmission of confidential content, such as the inquiries you send to us as the site operator. You can recognize an encrypted connection in your browser's address line when it changes from "http://" to "https://" and the lock icon is displayed in your browser's address bar.
If SSL or TLS encryption is activated, the data you transfer to us cannot be read by third parties.
Information, blocking, deletion
- As permitted by law, you have the right to be provided at any time with information free of charge about any of your personal data that is stored as well as its origin, the recipient and the purpose for which it has been processed. You also have the right to have this data corrected, blocked or deleted. You can contact us at any time using the address given in our legal notice if you have further questions on the topic of personal data.
Data protection officer
- We have appointed a data protection officer for our company. You can contact him at the address set forth in Section 14.
Legal basis of processing
- Art. 6 I lit. a) GDPR serves our company as the legal basis for processing operations where we obtain consent for a particular processing purpose. If the processing of personal data is necessary to fulfill a contract of which the data subject is a party, processing shall be based on Art. 6 I lit. b GDPR. The same applies to processing operations that are necessary to carry out pre-contractual measures, for example in cases of inquiries regarding our products or services. If our company is subject to a legal obligation which requires the processing of personal data, such as the fulfillment of tax obligations, the processing is based on Art. 6 I lit. c) GDPR. In rare cases, the processing of personal data may be required to protect the vital interests of the data subject or another natural person. This would be the case, for example, if a visitor to our premises were injured and his or her name, age, health insurance or other vital information would have to be passed on to a doctor, hospital or other third party. Then the processing would be based on Art. 6 I lit. d) GDPR. Ultimately, processing operations could be based on Art. 6 I lit. f) GDPR. On this legal basis, processing operations that are not covered by any of the above legal bases are required if processing is necessary to safeguard the legitimate interests of our company or a third party, unless the interests, fundamental rights and fundamental freedoms of the person concerned prevail. Such processing operations are particularly allowed to us because they have been specifically mentioned by the European legislator. In that regard, it is considered that a legitimate interest could be assumed if the data subject is a customer of the controller (recital 47, second sentence, GDPR).
Duration for which the personal data is stored
- The criterion for the duration of the storage of personal data is the respective statutory retention period. After the deadline, the corresponding data will be routinely deleted, if they are no longer required to fulfill the contract or to initiate a contract.
If you have concerns about information that may be gathered by us, we ask you to review your options in Section 5: Control of your Personal Information.
Additional Information on Data Processing
- The data processing explained in bullet three (3) under Section 1 is based on Article 6 Para. 1 Sentence 1 Lit. f GDPR. In accordance with Article 6 Para. 1 Sentence 1 Lit. f ) GDPR, processing data for the protection of legitimate interests is permitted unless the interests, fundamental rights or freedoms of data subjects requiring the protection of personal data prevail. Our legitimate interest can be seen in the secure provision and functionality of our website.
Additional Information on Google Analytics
- The use of Google Analytics as explained in bullet five (5) under Section 1 is carried out on the basis of your voluntary consent, Article 6 Para. 1 Sentence 1 Lit. a GDPR
According to PIPEDA you have the following additional rights regarding your data:
- You are entitled to see the information we hold about you. You can also request changes to be made to incorrect information. You can ask for information to be deleted or blocked if you think that we shouldn’t be processing that information, or are processing it incorrectly. It is your responsibility to keep your personal information up to date so that accurate records can be maintained.
- We will limit the personal information we collect to that which is necessary to deliver the products and services that we have outlined above.
Section 5: Control of your Personal Information
- When creating an account on www.originlab.com, you are given the opportunity to opt out of receiving mailings of (a) OriginLab’s e-Newsletter and (b) information on service releases and new product updates.
- If you buy software through www.originLab.com, and do not want to receive mailings or other information from us, do not check the box on the Checkout page (or on other pages where personal information is collected) which says: Yes, I would like to receive other offers through shop.OriginLab.com.
- We may send out e-mails informing registered users of the software of technical service or security issues related to a product or service that you requested; or confirming that you have requested a product or service. You will not be able to unsubscribe to these mailings, as they are considered an essential part of the service you have chosen.
- We will provide you with the means to ensure that your personal information is always correct and current. You may, at any given time, update your User Profile to change your preferences. Log into www.originlab.com, and in the user dashboard, click View/Update my Profile. You may make the following changes in your User Profile:
- View and edit personal information you have already given us.
- Tell us whether you want www.originLab.com to send you marketing information.
- Subscribe, or cancel subscriptions, to newsletters about our services and products.
- Opt-in or opt-out from various categories of communications from us.
When subscribing to the newsletter, we also store the IP address of the computer system used by the person concerned at the time of registration, as well as the date and time of registration, as assigned by the Internet Service Provider (ISP). The collection of this data is necessary in order to understand the (possible) misuse of an affected person's e-mail address at a later date and therefore serves as legal safeguards for the controller.
Section 6: Security of Personal Information
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure.
- Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons, who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. Additionally, all sensitive/credit information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. SSL technology is the industry standard for secure online transactions. In order for SSL security to work, you must use a SSL enabled browser. Most browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Safari and Chrome, support SSL.
- Your User Profile is protected by your account password and we urge you to take steps to keep your personal information safe by not disclosing your password and by logging out of your account after each use. You are responsible for all uses of our website by any person using your password. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with Section 12: Who to Contact with Questions or Corrections.
- Despite our efforts to protect your personal information, there is always some risk that an unauthorized third party may find a way around our security systems or that transmissions of your personal information over the internet may be intercepted. Your use of the website constitutes an acceptance of such risk.
Section 7: We Use Tracking Technology
- As part of our efforts to continually improve our website, we, like most websites, use "cookies" to track your visit to our website as a means to help improve our services and for basic site functionality. Our primary purposes in using cookies is to enhance and improve your user experience by saving user preferences for future visits or compiling aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future. Cookies are small files that your browser automatically creates and that are stored on your device (laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc.) when you visit our site. Cookies do not damage your device or not contain viruses, Trojans or any other malware. Information is stored in the cookie resulting from the specifically used device in each case.
- Some functions on our website cannot be offered without using cookies. For this it is necessary that the browser is recognized even after a page change.
- These are automatically deleted after leaving our site and are not used to create user profiles.
- The legal basis for processing personal data using session cookies is basis of our legitimate interest. Our legitimate interest is in the provision of the website and a user-friendly Internet presence.
- Personal data is not contained in the cookies and the cookies are not linked to other personal data stored by us. Cookies can only identify the workstation computer used, but not the user’s personal identity.
- Most browsers accept cookies automatically. However, you can configure your browser so that no cookies are stored on your computer or so that a message always appears before a new cookie is created. Depending on your location, you may also be prompted to provide your consent to certain cookies, each time you visit our website. However, the complete deactivation of cookies can lead to you not being able to use all of our website’s functions.
- Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs), may be used to, among other things, assist in delivering the cookie on our site, monitor the actions of users and e-mail recipients, market our services to you, compile statistics about website usage and response rates. The use of this technology is not linked to your personal information on www.originlab.com.
Section 8: Links to Third-Party Websites
Section 9: Use of Website by Minors
Please be aware that the products and services we offer on www.originlab.com are intended for persons 18 years of age or older. We do not knowingly collect personal information of persons under the age of 18.If we learn we have collected or received personal data from a child under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information.
Section 10: California Residents
If you are a California resident you have the right to request information from us regarding the manner in which we share certain categories of your personal information with third parties, for the third parties direct marketing purposes. California law provides that you have the right to submit a request to us at our designated address and receive the following information:
- The categories of information we disclosed to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year; and
- The names and addresses of third parties that received such information, or if the nature of their business cannot be determined from the name, then examples of the products or services marketed.
You are entitled to receive a copy of this information in a standardized format and the information will not be specific to you individually. You may make such a request by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Section 11: Data Transfers
Section 12: Jurisdictional Issues
Our website is controlled and operating by us from the United States and is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state country or territory other than that of the United States.
Section 14: Who to Contact with Questions or Corrections
Attn: Data Protection Officer
One Roundhouse Plaza
Northampton, MA 01060 USA
Telephone: (413) 583-2013