5 What's New in 2020b
Origin 2020b New Feature Highlights
- New Mini Toolbars for Worksheets and Matrixsheets: Quick access to common operations on cells, rows and columns.
- Mini Toolbar Additions for Graphs: More buttons added for manipulating page, layer and plot settings; plus the ability to pick which buttons display on Mini Toolbars.
- Browser Graph for Multi-channel Data Exploration: Selectively and interactively plot channel data to line or histogram, while using Origin's exploratory tools to focus on a plot or a region.
- Data Connector Improvements: Multi-file connections and improvements to Connectors for CSV, MATLAB, HDF and NetCDF; plus Database Connector dialog for making ODBC connections without having to go through OLE DB.
- Data Navigator Panel: New panel added to worksheet or matrix for managing connections to multi-sheet files such as MS Excel.
- Graph Customization Improvements: Better text wrapping, Curve tool for creating smoothed (editable) curved objects, droplines and labels at select points, more axis break styles, box chart improvements, symmetrical (+) and (-) log scales, etc.
- New Graph Types: Bland-Altman, Beeswarm, Radial Lines or Bars, Bullet, Streamline and 3D XYY "Side-by-Side".
- New, Flexible Correlation Plots: Colormapped blocks, scatter points or oriented ellipses; show upper or lower triangle only; plus flexible labeling (signficance, insignificance, correlation coefficient, p-value).
- New Apps: Linear Mixed Effects Model, Canonical Correlation Analysis, Modified STFT, Fit Adsorption Isotherm, Linear Regression with Marginal Distribution, X-Ray Diffraction Analysis; plus several new or improved Connectors for data import.
Other improvements include saving decimal separator to project, MATLAB Console connect to running instance of Origin, copy entire Analysis Report Sheet to HTML, improvements to Remove/Combine Duplicated Rows, Join Worksheet, Peak Analyzer improvements, Mean comparison option for three non-parametric tests, and more. See Details Below.
New Features by Category
Ease of Use
- As with graphing Mini Toolbars, available buttons (actions) depend on context
- Sheet level, no selection: add columns, clear worksheet, show hidden columns, toggle sheet list view and formulas, etc.
- Whole sheet selected: hide columns, adjust width to show all data, find in sheet, add sparklines, copy data for plotting.
- Single column selection: hide columns, adjust width to show all, sort data, find in column, add sparkline, set as categorical, sampling interval, copy for plotting, set as X/Y/Z/Xerr/Yerr or disregard for plotting/analysis, column properties dialog.
- Range of cells selected: mask, copy data for plotting. Copied data can be pasted (CTRL+V) to an existing graph window.
- SHIFT hotkey for re-display of Mini Toolbar after it has faded.
- Page-level buttons to toggle Window View or Page View for single layer graphs, Fit Page to Layers and Update Page Dimension when window is resized in Window View.
- Layer-level toolbar now shows where the user clicks rather than at layer margin.
- Add Plot button to open Layer Contents dialog for adding more data.
- Axis Break Mini Toolbar for customizing a selected axis break.
- Buttons for customizing X and Y error bars separately.
- Mini Toolbar for single point customization, including labeling.
- Mini Toolbar for controlling display of data points in box charts when Box Type = Data.
- Mini Toolbar for Data Markers to control display range, copy data, delete data, etc.
- Switch scales (horizontal, vertical) in Axis Scale and Grid Line Styles dialogs.
- More... button to open the Scale tab in the full Axis dialog.
- Log scale check box.
- Click on a green analysis lock to choose Go to Graph to return to the source graph.
- Right-click on the Layer icon in Object Manager and Reverse Plot Order.
- A More... context menu item for choosing columns in the same sheet, Select Columns for choosing any column in the folder (incl. subfolders) or in the project.
- Change data type, display, decimal digits, etc. and Apply to matrices to the right.
- Options depend on active graph window type and last-activated data source (worksheet or matrix).
- Press CTRL+Up/Down arrow to select multiple sheets in workbooks and matrices.
- Right-click on name in Object Manager and choose Rename.
- Text Object Properties support for CTRL key selection of non-consecutive text to apply special formatting (e.g. superscript).
New Graph Types
- Plot > Browser: New Window View mode template for plotting from a worksheet that has a large number of columns.
- List columns by Short Name, Long Name, Comments, or User Parameters.
- Supported plot types include Black Line, Colored Line, Histogram and Stack.
- Browser window controls for: Plot every Nth column; select or unselect all columns; auto rescale in Y dimension, rescale all, or no rescale; common display range for all plots, add all columns from sheet.
- Remove Selected/Unselected columns from the Browser window.
- Browser window support for Plot Details, Mini Toolbars and Gadgets.
- Workbook Short Name and Sheet Display Name show as graph Long Name.
- Plotted from a matrix window containing two matrix objects. Objects are derivatives of the plotted curve in the (x,y) directions, respectively.
- Box chart variant that shows the distribution of individual data points (involves no binning).
- Arrange Points drop-down list for Random, Jitter, Swarm, Center, Hex, Square point arrangements.
- Similar to MS Excel 3-D Clustered Column.
- Side by Side Bar Style check box added to Plot Details layer-level Miscellaneous tab.
- Stacked Radial Line Graph
- Circular graph with fill to base enabled for multiple concentric plots
- Fill offset plots to individually specified lines rather than to a common base.
- Common Display Range for Plots in Layer
- New layer-level property so that all plots use same row index range.
- Set using layer.commonrange=1.
- Now, specify fill color between any two reference lines.
- Origin now supports turning off baseline display while preserving the baseline position, when columns/bars drawn in "negative" and "positive" directions.
- Plot Details Drop Lines tab gets a control to enter a space-separated list of points.
- Plot Details Symbol tab option to apply transparency to fill but not symbol edge.
- Plot labels now treated as property of data plot rather than as a separate Label "dataset".
- Draw Whisker/Error Bars on Top of Data: Display of densely-packed data points can obscure Whiskers and Error Bars in Box + Data graphs. Can now check a box: Draw Whisker/Error Bar on Top of Data box (Plot Details, Box tab).
- Support for Plus only, Minus only whiskers in Box Charts.
- Grouped Box Chart support for Mean/Median Symbol Shape and Interior.
- When using 3-Color Limited Mixing in color scales, link Middle Color to a scale value, % of scale or percentile.
- Support for Contour and Worksheet Heatmap.
- Transparency slider added to Vector tab of Plot Details.
- Display tab added to enable connecting lines, symbols and drop lines for 2D and 3D XYY bar plots.
- D + mouse wheel: zoom in Z direction
- Z + mouse wheel: zoom in X direction
- SHIFT + Z + mouse wheel: zoom in Y direction
- Enable clipping on Miscellaneous tab of Plot Details (layer level) hides plots outside of frame.
- Draw smooth Bezier curves, edit points, assistance in closing loops.
- Options for fill pattern and color.
- @arx //text objects: 1 = layer & scale, 0 = layer frame (current default)
- @arr //rectangle & circle: 1 = layer & scale, 0 = layer frame (current default)
- No Trailing Zero option removes trailing zeros from axis tick labels.
- Zero is '0' option for displaying all zero quantities as '0' (e.g. 0.0E+0).
- System variables: @TLC&1 (Zero is '0') and @TLC& (No Trailing Zero) =1 to turn on, =0 to turn off.
- Display and label only half of a correlation matrix plot
- Option to hide the diagonal (self) blocks
- Label color can be set to auto: (1) with fill color = black or white label depending on fill or (2) no fill = follow fill color.
- Legend color blocks can now display outline style of area plot
- A Wrap Text check box is added to the Legend object's Properties dialog box. No longer need to use "%(CRLF)".
- For manual edits to the legend text (when not using worksheet metadata), there is a new \ww(literal text) escape sequence.
- You can now use the Data Highlighter on the Tools toolbar to select a region of data points in a 3D graph (e.g. 3D Scatter). The plotted data, plus the worksheet data are highlighted.
Worksheet and Matrix
- Use in User-defined Parameter row or in the last row of the column.
- Increase Character Limit for Text Cells
- Previously, when column or cell Format = Text there was a 252 character limit. Now, increased to 799 (set as Text & Numeric for up to 3799 characters).
- Matrix: Shrink: Shrink Method drop-down list added to shrink to mean, sum, first cell, last cell, etc.
- Support multiple reference columns.
- Support duplicate tolerance. Treat close values as duplicates.
- Matrix property wbook.slider=1 to replace thumbnails with a slider for sequential viewing of images.
Import & Export
- New Data: Connect to Multiple Files for import of CSV, Excel and MATLAB.
- Options for import to the Same Book (CSV, MATLAB) or Open Dialog for First File (CSV, Excel).
- First page is imported, others are listed and can be imported as needed.
- Support for Excel, MATLAB and Origin Projects.
- Start and End keywords for defining Data Block Marker now support wildcards asterisk (*) and question mark (?).
- New Database Connector dialog allows use of connection string, existing ODBC datasource, custom ODBC w/o datasource or OLE DB connection.
- Now specify ODBC settings in a connection string.
- New output option [<input>] for outputting Gadget results to a new sheet in the source workbook.
- Metadata from multiple worksheet column label rows can be specified.
- Allows running the process again after changes to template, input data, etc.
- Support for sorting in output sheet (sort by peak index or height).
- Option to use data in X axis range when doing analysis of zoomed graph window.
- Custom peak filtering using script (e.g. for Filter Condition combining Peak Number <=3 and Height Percent >= 20% (Maximum Height), the script can be written as n<=3 AND hp>=20).
- YError bars now show under the input node on the first page. Can be saved to the PA Theme.
- Recalculation support
- All Columns option in Input node
- Sort Output Sheet by Peak Index checkbox to group peaks by peak index.
- Faster opening of Batch Peak Analysis dialog when input has many XY datasets
- Output Data Identifier information to Messages Log if fit fails in Batch Processing
- Batch PA picks all plots in an active Graph window
- Put Dataset ID in User-defined Parameter row when appending results by columns.
- For example, unstacking 4M data points to 2000 groups is ~ 6 times faster than in earlier versions.
- Better Output of Source Metadata to Matrix Object
- Source metadata such as Sheet Name, Long Name, Units, Comments, etc. are output to matrix object.
- Support Multiple Comparisons for Kruskal-Wallis ANOVA, Mood's Median Test, Friedman ANOVA
- Report statistics on Y by binning X.
- Option to calculate and report Bin Start, Bin End, Bin Center, Mean, Median, etc.
- category(vd)$: Get all categories in a column
- catindex(vd): Get category indexes of each category in a column
- catrows(vd)$: Get row indices of each category
- cattext(vd, vd)$: Get category from index number and column
- isCat: Set or check for categorical. wks.col1.IsCat=1 // column 1 is set as categorical
- evenX: Set or get use of a column sampling interval. wks.col1.evenX=1 // column 1 will use sampling interval .xinc
- Takes a delimited string (user-specified delimiter) and splits cell contents to separate columns.
- Click Window: Script Window and type text2cols -d to open the dialog.
- Can be used in LabTalk script or in Set Values and cell formulas (SE = SD/n^0.5, where n is sample size).
- From the Set Values menu, choose Function > Statistics.
join(range1, range2,...) joins arbitrary ranges range1, range2, etc. into a single dataset.
layer -ep to edit display range of plot
- Users of standard Origin can now see what features are available in OriginPro
- Users can turn off display of Pro-only menu items by setting LabTalk system variable @RPM=1
- When an instance of MATLAB exists, the Origin user is prompted to connect to it.
Apps for 2020b
Apps marked with require OriginPro. For general information about Origin Apps, see Apps for Origin.
- MDF4 Connector
- BioLogic Connector
- MetroPro Connector
- Minitab Connector
- NetCDF Connector
- Zoomed Inset Plus
- Direct Linear Transformation
- Modified Short-Time Fourier Transform
- SVM Classification
- Linear Mixed Effects Model
- Canonical Correlation Analysis
- X-Ray Diffraction Analysis
- 3D Antenna Radiation Pattern
- Fit Adsorption Isotherm
- Nonmetric Multidimensional Scaling
- Standard Curve Analysis
- Correlation Plot
- Linear Regression with Marginal Distribution