2.16 FAQ-427 How to combine data from multiple Origin projects?
Last Update: 3/27/2020
Depending upon your needs, there are several ways to combine data from separate Origin files.
Copying and Pasting Project Folders Between Origin Sessions
- Run two Origin sessions, one with one project and another with a second project.
- In the first session, right-click on a Project Explorer folder and choose Copy from context menu.
- Go to the second Origin session, right click on a folder and choose Paste from the context menu. The folder including all contained windows, will be added as a subfolder in the second session's current project (Hint: Don't forget to save the current project to preserve changes).
|Note: We use the words "session" and "instance" to mean the same thing: The user runs initiates the Origin program twice so as to be able to transfer data between two simultaneously opened projects.
Once you have pasted a project folder into a second project, you could create a new folder specifically to combine only the windows that you want to work with in the current session. See Project Explorer.
Copying and Pasting Origin Workbook Windows Within or Between Origin Sessions
- Open Project Explorer (PE) and in the bottom panel, right-click on the desired workbook and choose Copy.
- Highlight another folder in the same project (within session) or highlight a folder in another project (between sessions) and in a blank space in the bottom panel of PE, right-click and choose Paste.
Importing Data from another Project or Worksheet Window
This allows import of selected columns of worksheet data from another project.
- With a workbook active, choose File: Import: Origin Project (OPJ)... to import selected columns from your OPJ file.
- Select a particular book in the OPJ file and all sheets will be listed. If you then select a particular sheet, you get a list of columns to selectively import.
This feature uses the X-Function impOPJ. For help with the impOPJ dialog box, see Importing an Origin Project.
Append All Data in Another Project
This option doesn't allow you to selectively bring in data. Rather, you will append the entire contents of another OPJ file, to the current (open) OPJ file.
- Choose File: Append or right-click on a Project Explorer folder and choose Append Project. A Reminder Message prompts you to create a folder for the appended file or append the file to the current folder. In either case, the subfolder structure of the appended file is preserved.
Opening an Origin Window File
This is a way to bring data saved as a standalone worksheet (OGW) or graph window (OGG), into the current OPJ file.
- Choose File: Open (or File: Recent Books or Recent Graphs) and browse to your Origin Window file. You can also drag and drop window files.
Note that when you open a graph window file in this way, you bring in supporting data, as well. Right-click on your data plot and choose Create worksheet worksheetName; or double-click on the plot and at the bottom of Plot Details, click the Workbook button.
Keywords:Origin OPJ, import data, Window Files, Append, Project Explorer,