1.18 FAQ-130 How do I define custom colors?
Last Update: 1/11/2021
From the Format and Style toolbars as well as the Plot Details dialog (anywhere you set the color of a layer element, whether it is the color of the value in a worksheet cell or the color of a scatter point on a graph), you can define a custom color.
For example, if you want to define a custom color for text, you could click the down arrow of the Font Color button on the Format toolbar to expose the Color Chooser; then, click on the blank color well containing the "+" sign, to open the Color dialog.
Define the Colors
After opening the Color Chooser, click on the Single tab. Under Custom, click a blank color well to open the Colors dialog, then click on the Custom tab. Here, you can define colors in one of three ways:
- Manipulate the cross-hair and slider to pick a color.
- Click the eyedropper tool, then click on the desired color in another portion of your workspace.
- Enter the value of RGB, HSL or HEX of color in edit boxes.
- Finish by providing a Name to the custom color (optional).
Finish by clicking OK; or click Add to Custom to add a color without closing the dialog.
Click the Select... button to enable the eyedropper. When the cursor becomes an eyedropper, you can click any portion of your workspace to pick up a color.
Fine-tune Colors from Built-in Colors
The slider can help you to get a similar color but with a different tint or intensity from built-in palettes. For example, if you want to fine-tune the last color of palette D02 Maple, you can:
- Click to select D02 Maple in the drop-down list of More colors.
- Click to select the last color that you want to fine-tune in palettes
- Open the Color Chooser once again, and click a blank color well in Custom group to open Color dialog with previously selected color
- Use the slider to get the new color.
|Note: These custom colors then become available throughout Origin. They are saved locally, but also get saved with the project or window. Thus, when someone else views the project on a different computer, they too will see the color you assigned.
Keywords:Custom color, RGB, HSL, HEX
Minimum Origin Version Required: Origin 2017