18.104.22.168 The Graph Template Library
Use the Template Library for organizing your custom graph templates and for plotting to those templates. The Template Library lists only your custom graph templates. To view and plot from system graph templates, open the System Template dialog.
- If you highlight data in the worksheet or workbook before opening the tool, and your data selection is appropriate for the selected graph template, then the Plot button will be activated and you can plot directly to the template.
- If you do not highlight data or if your data selection is not appropriate for the selected template, the Plot button will not be available. Instead, you can click the Plot Setup button, open that dialog box and plot to the template.
- While the Template Library is open, activating a window that is not used to create graphs (e.g. Notes window), hides the Library. Reactivating an applicable window type (workbook, matrix, Excel workbook), restores the Template Library.
- Cloneable templates are intended for "smart plotting" of data sheets that always display some common structure. Cloneable templates do not require you to pre-select data before selecting a template (data selections are, in fact, ignored when plotting to a cloneable template). If the data structure of the active workbook or matrixbook matches the data structure stored with the cloneable template, the Dolly icon at the left-bottom corner of the cloneable template cell will turn blue, indicating that this cloneable template can be used to plot the datasets in the active worksheet/matrix. Then, you can select this template in the Template Library and click the Plot button (or you can bypass the Template Library by selecting your cloneable template from the Plot: User Templates list).
Managing Your Templates
- If you are upgrading your Origin software, you may be prompted to transfer the contents of your old User Files Folder to your new User Files Folder (since Origin 2018, each new release has shared a common UFF). If you did not transfer files on initial startup, you can do so by choosing Preferences: Transfer User Files.
- If you have added existing graph templates to your User Files Folder, you can add them to the Template Library by clicking User Templates:Template Library and then clicking the Scan User Template button on the Library toolbar.
- To (a) add templates from a folder other than User Files, or (b) re-add templates that you've previously removed from the Template Library, click the Add Template button on the Library toolbar. If a preview image of the template exists, it will be added. Note, however, that templates and preview images are not automatically copied to the User Files Folder.
- Templates added to the Template Library are not automatically categorized. You can drag and drop files within the Library interface to categorize them. Alternately, you can click on an empty space in an existing category (the space will be highlighted). Then you can add templates to this category by clicking the Add Template button.
- To add a category to the Template Library, click the New Category button on the Library toolbar. To rename the category, double-click on the category name or click the edit button to the right of the category name. To delete a category, click the delete button to the right of the category name.
- To limit display of templates in the Library to those cloneable templates that are applicable to the active book, click the Template Filter button .
- To modify a graph template, click the edit button in the upper-right corner of the template preview. You can edit the Template Name, Description, window Short Name/Long Name, etc.
- When a template name is too long to fully display in the Template Library, you can hover on the template to display the full name as a tooltip.
- To remove a template from the Template Library, click the delete button in the upper-right corner of the template preview. The template is removed from the Template Library but is not removed from the UFF. To delete the file, check the Delete file instead box and click OK.
- To check the required data structure of a specific cloneable template, click to select it and click the Create Prototype button to create a prototype workbook. Sheets or Columns with Short Name Not Used indicates that current worksheet/column is not used to create the cloneable template.
- To search a template in this Library, type keyword in the Search Template bar on the top-right corner of Library; this will only show templates matched by text in the Name or Description. Clear Search bar content to show all templates.
- To show the templates as list view, click the Switch List Mode button . In the list table, you can click the column's header to sort the templates. Right-click on the selected template row, you can select Edit to open the template_modify dialog to modify it, or select Delete to remove this template.
Plotting Origin or Excel Data to a Standard (Non-cloneable) Template
You can continue to use graph templates made with previous versions of Origin, much as you did with previous versions:
- Select your Origin or Excel data.
- If you know which graph template you want to use, choose it directly from the Plot menu (Plot: Templates: User: <yourTemplate>). If the template you choose is not appropriate for the active book, the Plot Setup dialog box will open.
- If you are not sure which template you want, or you want to plot using the Plot Setup dialog box, then choose Plot: Templates: User: Template Library or click the Template Library button on the 2D Graphs Extended toolbar.
- In the Template Library tool that opens, browse and select your template from the list.
- If the selected template is appropriate for the selected data, the Plot button is available. Double-click on the selected template or click the Plot button. The plot is created and the Template Library closes.
- If the Plot button is not available, you can click the Plot Setup button to open the Plot Setup dialog box. The Template Library dialog box will stay open while you create your graph using Plot Setup.
Plotting Origin Data to a Cloneable Template
To clone a graph using cloneable template, first you have to make sure new data has same structure as stored in template.
To Check Data Structure of a Cloneable Template
To check the data structure stored in a cloneable template, with any workbook/matrixbook window active you can choose Plot: Templates: User: Template Library or click the Template Library button on the 2D Graphs Extended toolbar to open it. In the dialog opens, all user templates will be listed, but only the clonebale temapltes stored with same data structure with active workbook/matrix will show a blue Dolly icon at left-bottom corner. You can select any cloneable template and click Create Prototype button to output the prototype workbook, which contains necessary header information and data structure. You can compare your data with it and adjust contents as needed.
To Clone a Graph Using a Cloneable Template
- If you know which cloneable template you want to use, choose it directly from the Plot menu (Plot: Templates: User <yourTemplate>). The Dolly icon in front of a template indicates this template is cloneable and its color shows if it is available for current book(Blue = Available; Gray = Not Available). If the choose the cloneable template with gray Dolly icon , a warning will appear to ask you whether to create the prototype workbook of selected cloneable template or open Plot Setup dialog.
- If you are not sure which cloneable template you want, or you want to plot using the Plot Setup dialog box, then choose Plot: Templates: User: Template Library or click the Template Library button on the 2D Graphs Extended toolbar.
- In the Template Library tool that opens, browse and select your cloneable template from the list.
- If the cloneable template you choose is not appropriate for the active book(the Dolly icon appears gray), clicking on it will bring up a warning to tell you this cloneable template is not available for the active workbook/matrix. You can click Create Prototype button to create the prototype workbook of selected cloneable template or click Plot Setup button to open the Plot Setup dialog to assign the datasets from difference workbook/matrix.
- If the the data structure stored with cloneable template matches the structure in active workbook/matrix, the Dolly icon of the available cloneable templates will show as blue. Double-click on the desired template, or click once on the template and click the Plot button. A graph will be cloned using the selected template.