220.127.116.11 The Graph Template Library
Use the Template Library for organizing your custom graph templates and pre-shipped extended templates and for plotting to those templates. The Template Library lists your custom graph templates and pre-shipped extended templates.
To view and plot from system graph templates, you can just select the plot type you desired under the Plot menu which is the definitive list of 200+ built-in plot types.
|Note: The Group check box only appears when you have set a Group Folder, and added any workbook/matrix book to it.
- If you highlight data in the worksheet or workbook before opening the tool, and your data selection is appropriate for the selected graph template, click the Plot button will plot directly to the template.
- If you do not highlight data in a appropriate worksheet or matrix sheet, click the Plot button will open the Plot Setup dialog to let you specify the plot data. If you started from wrong source data window type(workbook or Matrix book), click Plot button will open the template directly.
- Cloneable templates are intended for "smart plotting" of data sheets that always display some common structure. Cloneable templates do not require you to pre-select data before selecting a template (data selections are, in fact, ignored when plotting to a cloneable template). If the data structure of the active workbook or matrixbook matches the data structure stored with the cloneable template, the Dolly icon at the left-bottom corner of the cloneable template cell will turn blue, indicating that this cloneable template can be used to plot the datasets in the active worksheet/matrix. Then, you can select this template in the Template Library and click the Plot button (or you can bypass the Template Library by selecting your cloneable template from the Plot: My Templates list).
- Click Graph Samples button at the left-bottom to open Learning Center to view all pre-shipped graph samples.
Managing the Templates
- If you are upgrading your Origin software, you may be prompted to transfer the contents of your old User Files Folder to your new User Files Folder (since Origin 2018, each new release has shared a common UFF). If you did not transfer files on initial startup, you can do so by choosing Preferences: Transfer User Files.
- If you have added existing graph templates to your User Files Folder or Group Folder, you can click the Scan Template button on the Library toolbar to scan them automatically.
- To (a) add templates from a folder other than User Files, or (b) re-add templates that you've previously removed from the Template Library, click the Add Template button on the Library toolbar. If a preview image of the template exists, it will be added. Note, however, that templates and preview images are not automatically copied to the User Files Folder.
- User-defined templates added to the Template Library are categorized to "UserDefined" by default. But the extended templates pre-installed has been categorized to an appropriate category, you can use the drop-down list under the Library Toolbar to filter all the templates.
- To limit display of templates in the Library to those cloneable templates that are applicable to the active book, click the List Cloneable Template button ; to limit display the user templates or extended templates, you can uncheck the Extended, User or Group check box beside the Search text box.
- To modify a user-defined graph template, click the edit button in the upper-right corner of the template preview. You can edit the Template Name, Description, window Short Name/Long Name, etc. Please note, you are not allowed to modify the extended templates, unless you save them again as user templates.
- To add or remove a user template into or from Plot > My Template menu, you can click the star button beside the Edit button.
- You can hover on the template preview icon to display the description and file path of the template as a tooltip.
- To remove or hide a template from the Template Library, click the Manage Mode button on the toolbar to switch to the management list, select the target template to click the Delete or Hide button. The template deleted is removed from the Template Library but is not removed from the UFF. The template hidden is hidden on the Preview mode and show gray in the management list. To show it back, you just need to select the grayed template and click Show button on the manage mode.
- To check the required data structure of a specific cloneable template, click to select it and click the Create Prototype button to create a prototype workbook. Sheets or Columns with Short Name Not Used indicates that current worksheet/column is not used to create the cloneable template.
- To search a template in this Library, type keyword in the Search Template bar on the top-right corner of Library; this will only show templates matched by text in the Name or Description. Clear Search bar content to show all templates.
- To show the templates as list view, click the Switch List Mode button . In the list table, you can click the column's header to sort the templates. Right-click on the selected template row, you can select Edit to open the template_modify dialog to modify it, or select Delete to remove this template.
- Under both the List View Mode and Mange Mode, you can use the Show in Menu column to control which templates show up in the Plot > My Template menu, just as the star button on the template preview.
Plotting Origin or Excel Data to a Standard (Non-cloneable) Template
You can continue to use graph templates made with previous versions of Origin, much as you did with previous versions:
- Select your Origin or Excel data.
- If you know which graph template you want to use, choose it directly from the Plot menu (Plot: My Templates <yourTemplate>). If the template you choose is not appropriate for the active book, the Plot Setup dialog box will open.
- If you are not sure which template you want, or you want to plot using the Plot Setup dialog box, then choose Plot: Template Library or click the Template Library button on the 2D Graphs Extended toolbar.
- In the Template Library tool that opens, browse and select your template from the list.
- If the selected template is appropriate for the selected data, double-click on the selected template or click the Plot button to plot the graph on the template. The plot is created and the Template Library closes.
- If the selected template is appropriate for the selected data, click the Plot button or the Plot Setup button to open the Plot Setup dialog box. The Template Library dialog box will stay open while you create your graph using Plot Setup.
Plotting Origin Data to a Cloneable Template
To clone a graph using cloneable template, first you have to make sure new data has same structure as stored in template.
To Check Data Structure of a Cloneable Template
To check the data structure stored in a cloneable template, with any workbook/matrixbook window active you can choose Plot: Template Library or click the Template Library button on the 2D Graphs Extended toolbar to open it. In the dialog opens, all user templates and extended templates will be listed, but only the clonebale temapltes stored with same data structure with active workbook/matrix will show a blue Dolly icon at left-bottom corner. You can select any cloneable template and click Create Prototype button to output the prototype workbook, which contains necessary header information and data structure. You can compare your data with it and adjust contents as needed.
To Clone a Graph Using a Cloneable Template
- If you know which cloneable template you want to use, choose it directly from the Plot menu (Plot: My Templates: <yourTemplate>). The Dolly icon in front of a template indicates this template is cloneable and its color shows if it is available for current book(Blue = Available; Gray = Not Available). If the choose the cloneable template with gray Dolly icon , a warning will appear to ask you whether to create the prototype workbook of selected cloneable template or open Plot Setup dialog.
- If you are not sure which cloneable template you want, or you want to plot using the Plot Setup dialog box, then choose Plot: Template Library or click the Template Library button on the 2D Graphs Extended toolbar.
- In the Template Library tool that opens, browse and select the cloneable template you want from the list.
- If the cloneable template you choose is not appropriate for the active book(the Dolly icon appears gray), clicking on it will bring up a warning to tell you this cloneable template is not available for the active workbook/matrix. You can click Create Prototype button to create the prototype workbook of selected cloneable template or click Plot Setup button to open the Plot Setup dialog to assign the datasets from difference workbook/matrix.
- If the the data structure stored with cloneable template matches the structure in active workbook/matrix, the Dolly icon of the available cloneable templates will show as blue. Double-click on the desired template, or click once on the template and click the Plot button. A graph will be cloned using the selected template.