2.1.3 Child Windows from Templates
When you create a new workbook, graph or matrix book, Origin uses a template to create the new window. Predefined properties that were saved with the template are used to set various window format and data handling behaviors of the window. Data are not saved with a template file.
Creating a new window using the Standard toolbar buttons
The easiest and most obvious way to create a new workbook, graph or matrix book window is to click on one of the Standard toolbar buttons.
These buttons open a window based on one of the Origin templates: ORIGIN.OTW (worksheet), ORIGIN.OTP (graph) or ORIGIN.OTM (matrix).
Creating a new workbook with the New Worksheet dialog
You can also open a empty workbook window using the New Worksheet dialog box. This dialog calls the same ORIGIN.OTW worksheet template as the Standard toolbar button, but this dialog box allows "on-the-fly" adding of columns and column designations.
- Click File: New: Worksheet, from Origin's main menu.
- Use the Column Designation combo box to set multiple column plot designations. Select a column designation from the list, or type a custom designation in the box (the dialog provides hints, in blue, explaining the column designation syntax).
- When the Spreadsheet Cell Notation check box is selected, column short name restriction is on. It will restrict column short names to be enumerated column letters so that A can be used instead of col(A), and A1 instead of col(A) in F(x).
- When the Add to Active Workbook check box is selected, Origin adds the new worksheet to the active workbook. When Add to Active Workbook is cleared, Origin creates a new workbook with the new worksheet. If the active window is not a workbook, the Add to Active Workbook check box is unavailable.
Creating a new matrix book with the New Matrix dialog
Similar to the New Matrix toolbar button , the New Matrix dialog opens a window based on the Origin.otm matrix book template. As with New Workbook, you have the option of doing some on-the-fly customization (e.g. number of rows or columns, add matrix objects, etc.).
- Click File: New: Matrix...
Indicate whether to display image thumbnails in the new matrix sheets.
Customize the number of columns (X) and rows (Y), X/Y mapping arrangement, and X/Y labels (Long Name, Units, Comments) for a new matrix sheet.
- Number of Matrix Objects in sheet
Select or type the number of matrix objects in the sheet. Customize the data type, labels, and formula for each matrix object on the grid table. To apply a value to all cells in the same column, right-click, and then click Apply to all.
Creating a child window from a template
You can use the Load Template dialog to create a new workbook, matrix, or graph from any of the template files in your Origin program folder, User Files Folder or other location:
- Click File: New, From Template...: More..., from the main menu.
Note that this dialog box also allows creating a new workbook from an Analysis Template. There is no Analysis Template concept for matrix books or graph windows; thus, when Matrixbook or Graph is selected, the Templates and Analysis Templates check boxes are not available (template display cannot be turned off for graphs and matrix books).
Example: Creating a workbook from a template
Origin provides workbook template (.OTW) and Analysis Template (.OGW) files for creating workbooks. Depending on your selection, one or both types of template files will appear in the grid table.
- In the Load Template dialog, select the Workbook check box, and then select both the Templates and Analysis Templates check boxes.
- Specify the Path to the template file.
- Select a template file row in the grid table.
- Click OK to create your new workbook. (Optionally, click Set Default to set the selected template as the default.)
|Note: The Load Template dialog box is a general purpose dialog for opening and managing all template files, including Analysis Templates. There are two dialog boxes that are specific to managing graph template files:
- The System Templates dialog box that can be used to plot to Origin's built-in graph templates.
- The Template Library that can be used to plot to your customized graph templates.
For an explanation of graph system templates, customized templates, and cloneable templates, see Graph Template Basics.