9 Customize Installation Settings with Config.ini
What is Config.ini and what can it do
Config.ini file is a configuration file to preset/customize installation settings. It is shipped with Origin setup file. Note: If you download the self extracting exe installer (exe format) from our website, it doesn't have Config.ini file. Please choose zip format instead.
What's in Config.ini?
Config.ini file has the following configurations by default. You can open it in a notepad editor to view and modify it. Detailed comments are included to help you understand each setting.
Preset all installation data in [Setup] section:
- - preset Serial Number, User Name and Company information, installation path, 32 or/and 64 bit version, whether to enable python console and SPSS import
- - determine whether to install Origin silently
If you set
QuietMode = 1 to install Origin in silent mode, you must preset the following items.
Whether 32bit or/and 64bit application to be installed is determined by both OS and
64bit settings. That is,
- If you are a 32bit OS user, only 32bit Origin will be installed no matter what you have set for
- If a 64bit OS user, the installing application is determined by
64bit. If skip or commenting out both, only 64bit Origin will be installed.
Other items will use the following default values if not specified
ProgramFolder=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OriginLab Origin 2019
Origin Folder Path
- - preset User Files Folder in [Locations] section
- - determine whether to show the User Files folder dialog with preset path when launching Origin the first time
- AutoSave, Backup and Unsaved Project Folders
- - preset the root folder for AutoSave, Backup and Unsaved project folders in [Locations] section
- - preset Apps folder in [Apps] section
Note: If Config.ini has preset folder paths (for example User Files or AutoSave folder), they will be used instead of inheriting the old settings from previous version.
If a Concurrent Network package, preset the FLEXnet server's host name or IP address in [License] section.
With Config.ini file, from Origin 2019, we have a new silent installation method.
Note: If you have Origin 2018b or any earlier version and want to deploy Origin with silent installation, please refer to this page.
To use InstallShield's setup program to install Origin silently on computers in your organization, perform the following steps
- Copy the Origin Setup files into a folder on computer "A". Note:
- Computer "A" must be on a network to which all potential Origin users can connect.
- Make sure there are 14 setup files including Config.ini in the folder.
- Modify Config.ini file with all desired configuration preset.
- If needed, preset license management as follow:
- If a Concurrent Network package, you can preset the FLEXnet server's host name or IP address in [License] section of Config.ini file. Otherwise the user must enter them in the License Information dialog when first start Origin.
- If a node-locked Group package, use the pk.txt file to preset product key. Origin will activate automatically when first start Origin. Otherwise the user must activate a license from the OriginLab website, using the License Activation dialog.
- Make sure this modified Config.ini and pk.txt files (if have) in the Origin Setup folder on \\A where setup.exe is located.
- Share this folder with FULL READ/WRITE privileges and note its UNC share name. (e.g. \\A\Origin\)
- Email to all users to ask them to run the setup.exe file. Users must be logged into their computers with a log in account that has administrative privileges and they must be on the network and they must be able to access to \\A.
- This silent installation method only installs Origin onto the target computers.
- For Concurrent Network packages, at the first Origin start-up, the user will see a Registration dialog box at the second Origin start-up.