6.11.7 Polar Graph with Custom Angular Scale
Normally, the polar angular axis unit reads in degrees, radians or gradians. However, Origin's polar graph also supports use of custom units.
Minimum Origin Version Required: 2017 SR0
What You Will Learn
This tutorial will show you how to:
- use a dataset to control symbol size and color in a polar graph.
- use a custom unit for the angular axes.
- add and custom the bubble scale
This tutorial is associated with the Tutorial Data project:<Origin EXE Folder>\Samples\Tutorial Data.opj.
Also, you can refer to this graph in Origin Central. (Select Help: Origin Central menu or press F11 key , and then open Graph Sample: Polar Graphs)
- Open the Tutorial Data project and browse to folder Scale Unit Control and activate Book2F.
- Highlight column B and select Plot:Specialized:Polar theta(X) r(Y) to create a line plot in polar coordinate system.
- Double-click on any axis to open the Axis dialog. Go to the Scale tab and select Angular in the left panel. In this right panel, expand Units Definition node, and choose Radians as Units. Make sure the scale from 0 to 2 PI. Then change the Value of increment to 0.2
- Go to the Show tab for Angular-Outer axis, then change the Direction to Clockwise and set Rotate (deg.) to 90.
- Go to the Scale tab and select 'Radial in the left panel. Then set the scale from 0 to 1.2, and change the Value of increment to 0.4.
- Go to Tick Lables tab for the Radial- Outer 1 axis. Choose Format subpage, and check the Bold check box. Then click the Apply To... button. In the pop-up dialog, make sure Apply From is Outer 1 and Apply to is All Axes, then check the Bold under the Tick Labels. Click OK.
In Axis dialog, click OK to apply settings and close the Axis dialog.
- Double-click on the line plot to open the Plot Details dialog, make sure the left panel is expanded and set Plot Type as Scatter. In the Symbol tab, recreate the following settings, in the sequence shown in the screenshot:
Click OK to apply the settings and close the Plot Details dialog.
- Select New Bubble Scale in the Graph main menu to add a bubble scale in this graph.
- Right-click on the bubble scale, and choose Propertise... to open the control dialog. Go to the Level page, set the level from 0 to 1, and change the Value of increment to 0.25.
- Go to Labels page, check the Set Decimal Places check box and enter 1 in the Decimal Places text box.
- Go to Layout page, choose Nested in Layout drop-down list. Select Black Edge and No Fill as Bubble style and change the Label Offset from Symbol Center to 150. Check the Show Leader Line check box, then expand the node to check the Auto Reoisition to Avoid Overlapping check box. Click OK to apply the setting and close the dialog.
Manually move the legend object. The final graph should look like this: