6.7.8 Grouped Column with Error Bars and Data Labels
Origin supports grouped column graphs with indexed data. Multiple group levels are supported. Grouping information can be shown in tick label tables on the X or Y axes.
Minimum Origin Version Required: 2015 SR0
What will you learn
This tutorial will show you how to
- Plot grouped column and error bar with indexed data
- Customize tick labels, colors, gaps, error bars and data labels
- Update legend to show grouping information.
This tutorial is associated with <Origin EXE Folder>\Samples\Tutorial Data.opj.
Also, you can refer to this graph in Origin Central. (Select Help: Origin Central menu or press F11 key , and then open Graph Sample: Column and Bar)
- Open Tutorial Data.opj and browse to the Grouped Column with Error Bars and Data Labels folder in Project Explorer (PE).
- In the following steps, we want to customized the order of values shown in the graph but not change the source data. Right click Column B in workbook, select Set As Categorical in the list menu, double click the literal "Unsorted" to open the Categories tab. Then select Ascending in Sort list and click OK to close the dialog.
- Do the same operation for Column C and F to set the Column C and Fas categorical data as well and set the order of categorical values as Ascending.
- We are going to create a grouped column chart from worksheet. Highlight column D(Y2) and E(yErr) and select Plot > 2D: Group Plot: Grouped Column - Indexed Data... from the main menu.
- In plot_gindexed dialog, click in the "Group Column(s)" to add columns B, C, and F (in that order) to the Group List. Click the OK button.
A grouped column plot with error bar is created. The 3-row tick label table at the bottom shows the grouping information. Note that a worksheet is created to contain the data used to create this graph.
- To hide the first tick label row, double-click on any tick label in the row, e.g. EC2. The Axis dialog box will open with the Bottom 3 icon selected in the left panel. uncheck the Show box and click Apply.
- We want to customize the appearance of the Bottom 2 tick label rows.Select the Bottom 2 icon on the left panel and clear all Border check boxes in Table tab, then click the OK button.
Two tick label rows remain, each with different layout.
- To show color information in the legend, right click the legend and choose Legend: Categorical Values. Check on the Fill Color check box.
Cilck OK to apply the setting, delete the top two legend entries which are not needed.
- The graph should appear as follows.
The tutorial steps that follow, further customize the graph so that it looks like the image in the Summary section.
- To turn on grid lines, go to the Axis Dialog Grids tab. Check the Show box for major grid lines in Horizontal icon. Click Apply to apply the settings.
- To turn on frames for both X and Y axes, Select both Horizontal and Vertical in left panel,check on Opposite checkbox in Additional Links group.Click OK button to apply.
- To show labels on top of each column, open the Plot Details dialog box by clicking on the graph bars. Go to the Label tab and check the Enable box. Duplicate the settings as shown below.
- To add a gap between each week, go to Spacing tab and set the Gap Between Subsets(%) to 15.
- To control pattern by the worksheet data in column F, add a color gradient fill to the plot columns, go to Pattern tab of Plot Details and set as follows. The gradient fill direction should be Horizontal Center Out.
- To customize the pattern list, go to the ‘’Pattern List' tab in Plot Details dialog. Check the Use custom increment list check box and create a custom pattern list. Note that you don't need to delete patterns beyond the 3rd one in the list since only the 1st 3 pattern style are used.
- To remove negative error bars, select the error bar plot in the left panel of Plot Details, (The second dataset under Layer1), then go to the Error Bar tab and clear the Minus check box.
- To change the graph page background color, select the Graph icon in the left panel of the Plot Details dialog box. Go to the Display tab and set color to LT Gray.
- To change layer background color to white, select Layer1 node on left panel of the Plot Details dialog. Go to the Background tab and set Color to White.
- To show pattern information in the legend, right click the legend and choose Legend: Categorical Values. Check on the Fill Pattern check box.
- To arrange legends horizontally, right-click on the legend object and select Properties... from the shortcut menu. In Text tab of Text Object dialog box, arrange the remaining text in a single line.
Go to Frame tab, select None under Frame drop-down list. Click OK.
- Drag the legend to an appropriate position. Select and press Delete to remove the Y axis title.