5.24 FAQ-508 Troubleshooting of Excel Errors in Origin
Last Update: 1/5/2016
"The application cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Use "switch to" to activate the other program and fix the problem"
Excel error messages:
The application cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Use "switch to" to activate the other program and fix the problem.
Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action
The first message might be followed by the second.
- Open Task Manager
- Close all open excel files, processes and running applications.
This should fix the problem and Excel in Origin should run fine again.
"Origin is unable to detect a proper installation of Excel on your computer"
Upon clicking the Excel button in the workspace of a 64-bit Origin the following error appears:
Origin is unable to detect a proper installation of Excel on your computer.
This has been known to occur with Excel 2003 and 2007. To fix this please try these TWO workarounds:
In Origin 2015
- Right click on the Origin icon and select Run as Administrator
- Now open Origin and go to Window: Script Window to open the Script Window
- copy paste the following equation: doc -OFFICE2003;
- Highlight it and press Enter
The problem should no longer occur.
Before Origin 2015
- Open the Start menu and type Regedit in the search bar
- This will open the Registry Editor.
- Now open this branch:
(use Edit: Find for the last part if it is difficult to find manually)
- Now right click on this branch and select Export. Export it as
WOW6432.reg to an accessible folder.
- Now right click and open with Note pad.
- Find and Replace "Wow6432Node\" with " " (so essentially remove that word every where from the notepad doc).
- Save as
Remember to change the extension and save as Unicode.
- Open Registry Editor again. Go to File : Import... and import this file.
Reopen Origin 64 bit Click on the Excel button, it should now work fine.
Cannot copy/paste greater than 65536 values from Excel into Origin
Copy pasting more than 65536 rows results in a cut off and all values after the 65536th are not pasted. The workaround for this is:
- On the Origin main menu go to Window: Script Window
- In the Script Window type :
- Highlight the contents of Script Window and press Enter
This should fix the problem, you should now be able to copy paste more than 65536 rows.
Keywords:Excel, error, Origin, open Excel, troubleshooting